Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The 'big' headaches of B'lore traffic..

Having observed traffic for the last 3 months, I've noticed the bigger cars (also tractors, I have never seen so many in any developed city!) are the most menacing during traffic. By this I don't mean the lorries, or even the extra long, extra wide buses. I am talking about the Honda CRV's, Innovas, and the likes. Most of the shorter, smaller jams on the road that cost an average of 5mts/person, are bcos of these 'big' cars trying to take a U-turn or join the road. This stops traffic temporarily because most of them are unable to manouvre the turn at one shot and so they have to go back and forth, ultimately stopping traffic on both sides!

Why do we need these if we can't do anything about the roads? These are not meant for Indian roads and I can't understand why they companies should be allowed to business in India. Shouldn't we actually be taking tips from Europe in this regard? Their cars are smaller, keeping up with their narrow roads and ofcourse the high prices of petrol in their country, which again we can relate to.

I just read in the papers today that Volvo is planning to sell in India. If the country is doing this as a part of opening up their markets, the govt. needs to have serious restrictions on selling cars beyond a certain size. Is it too hard for the 'big heads' in the Parliament to figure this out?

1 comment:

Anusha said...

Hey Vidhya..read quite a few of ur posts..I havent blogged much but u seem to have voiced many of my thoughts on many issues!
Would like to know more about lamaze and ur experience..hope I can contact you somewhere..Pls mail me at anusha_balakrishnan@yahoo.com