Sunday, July 08, 2007

Prenatal Classes in B'lore

I just got done with my pre-natal classes at 'Asha Foundation' in Indiranagar. We attended all the 4 classes, which was quite a feat from the two of us, considering it was on Saturday mornings at 10am! First impressions - Educative, could have been better organized and customized to the kind of crowd they are attracting. If I have to be more critical, I would've wished if they had started the classes on time and cut down on teh snack breaks, which were typically much longer than the classes itself.

For the interested, here's how the classes were broken down:
The first class was pre-natal exercises. Found it quite informative and since it was a one on one session in my case, got to learn it at my own pace. It was all downhill after this.

The second and third classes were about massage and nutrition. The massage class was a total of 15mts and we waited there for 2 hrs for someone to come in and tell us waht the agenda was! Quite disappointing. The nutrition class was where they took us through what to eat and what not to eat. It felt like it was too late in the pregnancy for all those tips, considering all of us were already near the end of our second trimester. I didn't particularly gather too much out of it. The issue was mainly the presenter. She was all over the place, she would start with the diet chart and the next mt. would talk about labor and then about epidural, and jump back to how protein helps the body etc . etc. It totally lacked any kind of structure!

The last class was lactation classes and post delivery exercises. This was a very informative class and I felt the presenter much more organized! Had a lot of my doubts clarified. I realized after this class, that labor and giving birth is just a part of the whole process. Handling and feeding the baby needs much more attention and care and I'm sure many mothers would agree with me.

On the whole, I was glad I attended something like this. If not for the classes itself, to meet fellow women in similar stages of pregnancy and discuss our symptoms. Luckily for us one of the expecting dad's was a physician and I was glad we had him in our midst. A class like this in India is a great thing, educating women and I respect and appreciate their sincere intentions. They are on the right track, but they just need some serious guidance on organizing a class like this!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

not sure why you had such a experience. I have already delivered baby boy 2 months, and i had wondeful experience in Asha classes . The dietitian was excellent and she knew what she was talking did class very well. also you need to understand that some of them could in first few months of preganacy and they will requiring all the detials.i had normal delivery and palnning to going back to thier postnatal nutrition and exercise classes. it really help me and my husband get though to stress

Anonymous said...

I was looking for childbirth classes , my sister recommeded me Asha .I heard from her that they are really good in their approach .
My sister was high risk preganancy and staff told her everything she needs to know. Lamaze session is taught in all the classes also is exercise. I was not sure itf exercises are safe during prenanacy .then i spoke to my doctor she told it ok to do after 2 month . My sis also mentioned that Diet session was quite informative and it is very technical as I am non sceince background. I am planning to join thier next batch in as I am first month only .hope some of you me in classes

Anonymous said...

Me and hubby attended the childbirth classes in Asha way back in 2006 when it started and found it useful at every stage, parenting , pregnancy, delivery and too. I joined in 4th month and followed the diet and exercises taught in class .I felt that all the staff were very friendly and my pregnancy went smooth. .

I loved the snack breaks where I made lot friends with my classmates and shared their experiences.I think reason they give breaks is because they wanted us to get to know the other couples better

Preganacy is vast subject and it cannot be taught in 4 – 5 classes .It has to corrected with all the topics .I got to learn a lot from dietician who was presentating as she gave lot of examples which was easy to follow .It was never too medical which was first concern and they never comment on the reports

I really appreciate my classes in Asha Foundation which were affordable and informative

small squirrel said...

Suspiciously the above comments sound a lot like the comments I got when I myself gave some constructive criticism about Asha.

I was in the same class that Vidhya is talking about... and I have the same criticism that she mentions... and when I mentioned it on another site, I got some of the same responses. And all were from the same IP address.

So hey, Vidhya... I think it's someone from Asha writing these things... at least the one from indu above....

hope all is well with you!!!!!

Vz said...

Yes, it is hard for me to beleive that the dietician was excellent! All that the diet chart had was some portion sizes calculated based on weight. They did not even ask me for any basic facts about my diet routine, if I am a vegetarian, an egg eater, or a lactose tolerant etc. etc. I really wished it would be much more customized than what was given to me!